Jamestown on FacebookJamestown on Facebook Jamestown on PinterestJamestown on Pinterest Jamestown on YoutubeJamestown on Youtube Jamestown on InstagramJamestown on Instagram Jamestown on TwitterJamestown on Twitter
Buy Tickets


WILLIAMSBURG, Va., May 12, 2009 – A new building is taking shape at Jamestown Settlement’s re-created 1610-14 fort, based on one of two large “row houses” uncovered by Preservation Virginia’s Jamestown Rediscovery archaeological project at Historic Jamestowne in 2004-05.

Jamestown Settlement, a living-history museum operated by the state’s Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, is located next to Historic Jamestowne, the site of America’s first permanent English colony, jointly administered by the National Park Service and Preservation Virginia.  The row house is the second Jamestown Rediscovery building to be re-created at Jamestown Settlement.  The first, completed in 2006 and currently interpreted as a storehouse, is based on a building that dates to the earliest period of the fort, built by English colonists who arrived in Virginia in 1607.

The cobblestone foundations of the two row houses at Historic Jamestowne are located within the James Fort site, paralleling the western wall of the palisade.  Based on their location in the fort, historical references, and the discovery of high-status items in the vicinity, the buildings probably were constructed between 1610 and 1614, and the one to be re-created at Jamestown Settlement may have served as the colonial governor’s house. 

According to Ralph Hamor’s account of Virginia during 1610-14, Jamestown had “two faire rowes of houses, all of framed timber, two stories, and an upper garret or corn loft.”  The 1618 records of the Virginia Company cite a “Governors house in James town first built by Sir Thomas Gates Knight.”  Gates served as lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1611 to 1614.  Historical records also cite an addition to the governor’s house by Samuel Argall, who served as deputy governor in 1617-19.  Jamestown Rediscovery archaeologists found the brick foundations of an apparent addition to the building thought to have been the governor’s house.

The cobblestone foundation of the 66- by 18-foot building under construction at Jamestown Settlement is in place.  Members of the museum exhibits fabrication staff are assembling the timber framework in a service area and will begin erecting the frame on the foundation this summer. 

Among distinctive features planned for the building are two chimneys, each with a back-to-back fireplace; a second story that extends two feet beyond the first story on the side facing the “street” along the re-created fort wall; and a first story divided into four rooms with wood plank floors, and two doors on opposite sides of the building each opening into a small entry space.  Walls of wattle (wood latticework connected to the timber frames) and daub (plaster of clay, sand and straw) will be topped by a thatched roof.   

After the new Jamestown Settlement building is completed next year, it will be interpreted as the governor’s house and chief administrative center for the colony.  An existing fort building that currently represents the governor’s house will be interpreted as living quarters for high-ranking colonists.

The Jamestown Settlement fort also has structures representing an Anglican church, cape merchant’s office, barracks, court of guard, and munitions storehouse.  The fort setting and interpretive programs emphasize the predominantly military and commercial character of Jamestown during the years 1610 to 1614.

Located at State Route 31 and the Colonial Parkway, adjacent to Historic Jamestowne, Jamestown Settlement is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.  Information about visiting the museum is available at (888) 593-4682 toll-free or (757) 253-4838 and hif.ciniva.net.